How To Tackle the Clutter and Keep It Under Control
With the hustle and bustle of everyday life, keeping up on your home can seem daunting. Organizing, cleaning, decluttering, just for it to get messy all over again the next day. If you’re searching for a few surefire methods that are easy to implement, read on for ideas on how to keep your home (and life!) clutter free!
- Buy and bring in to your home only what you need. It can be easy to get caught up in flashy objects and impulse buys. Before you purchase something, ask yourself if it’s helpful, a favorite, or necessary. Doing so will help weed out the items that may just catch your attention but don’t serve any real purpose. This isn’t to say decorations and special purchases should be overlooked–limiting and asking yourself if you need the object will help prevent clutter. Learn the things you like and the things you will regularly use in your home; if an object doesn’t fit in that criteria, rethink the purchase.
- Open your mail promptly. There’s a large market for baskets dedicated to holding mail and rightfully so! With as much mail as individuals receive on a daily basis, we need somewhere to store it, right? Carve out a few minutes each day to open all your mail, sort it, and file it or toss it so it’s not cluttering up your living space. Don’t be tempted to buy or repurpose a basket for your mail, going without will motivate you more if there’s no specific place for unopened mail to live.
- If sorting through your mail everyday seems like too big a task, consider going paperless. Not only will this cut down on the clutter caused by mail but it will help the overall clutter in your home by stopping the piles of receipts, important documents, and other paper that seems to just sit around taking up space. Scan important documents that you don’t need hard copies of to your computer, opt for paperless billing where you can, and request e-receipts in stores. Taking this small step will help the environment and your home.
- Utilize smart storage systems. Keep similar items in the same location so you always know where to find things. Make sure to keep your frequently used items in accessible locations so you don’t have to worry about going to different rooms and leaving disaster in your wake looking for something. Find a place for everything and make sure everything has its place!
- Follow the bring it out, put it away mantra. Building onto the smart storage systems, make sure when you get an item out you ensure it’s put away. Doing so will help keep your home clutter free because everything will always be in it’s place and not on display on your dining room table.
- Enter a room, put away an item. This is a simple task that can make a use difference in the overall appearance of your home. Every time you walk into a room, bring an item out of that room that doesn’t belong. Toy in the kitchen? Take it with you, put it away. Socks in the bathroom? Walk them to the laundry room on the way downstairs. A quick, five second pickup can do wonders in making sure unnecessary items aren’t found in various place.
- Tackle, declutter, and donate frequently. As humans, we have the uncanny ability to just accumulate material items that serve no purpose. Devise a schedule that works for you such as each season, monthly, twice a year, and tackle your home by cleaning, decluttering, and donating any items that don’t serve a purpose or bring you joy. Enlist the help of other household members or willing friends that will keep you on task. By doing this, you are breathing new life into your house by ridding yourself of unnecessary material objects.
By following these steps, you will be on your way to a clutter free home. Try implementing one step a week and incorporating them into your everyday routine and keeping up will be simple!
For all of your home building needs, contact us today! At Robuck Homes, we look forward to providing families with custom homes that will delight you for years to come.