Your deck and patio are an extension of your home and you can take advantage of this great space. Your creativity and a few tips will help you design an inviting place where everyone wants to spend time. Here are ideas to keep in mind while you are planning.
1. Outdoor Lighting
Nothing makes a warm evening more relaxing than the ambiance that perfectly placed outdoor lighting provides. Lighting highlights the special features of your home and garden spaces. Consider the following:
- Install solar panel lighting to save on energy costs.
- Add lights to illuminate the driveway and walkways, a tree or water feature.
- Brighten up outdoor seating spaces.
- Add string lights around the perimeter of the back porch or outdoor shade structures.
- Install motion-activated lights in areas to enhance security
2. Cozy Fire pit or Fireplace
Outdoor living is made more special near the glowing ambiance of a fire. Include a fire pit or outdoor fireplace in your outdoor living space plan. There are a variety of outdoor fireplaces and DIY fire pit features you can add to enhance your outdoor space.
Create an outdoor oasis that is full of natural foliage to promote relaxation.
If you are short on space, container gardening is the way to go. Container gardens are inexpensive and are easy to maintain. Many trees, vegetables, flowers, and ornamental plants are container friendly so you can add greenery and provide fresh produce to your outdoor living space.
Landscaping décor range from bird bath feature, bird houses, reading bench, and or paint to create interesting flowerpots.
4. Outdoor Furnishing
Patio furnishings are the most important features of your outdoor living space and you do not need to invest in an expensive set from a home improvement store to ensure you have enough seating and table space to go around. Consider your local thrift stores to see if there are furnishings you can refurbish. If you’re handy build your own custom patio furniture using raw building materials like wood or metal. Here is a DIY to create a concrete tabletop for your patio table.
5. Bring the Kitchen Outdoors
A great feature for outdoor living space it to bring your kitchen outdoors. This is a great way to stay connected while entertaining with family and friends.
- Invest in a propane or charcoal grill.
- Budget friendly counter consider using concrete. Add shelves and be sure to create a adequate space for your grill.
- Create bar style seating.
- Extras to include a mini-fridge and benches.
Take advantage of the space in your backyard and make it an area where you and your family want to spend time by transforming your outdoor living space.
At Robuck Homes, our relationship with homeowners doesn’t end at closing. We are committed to providing home maintenance tips and community insight so you can continue to enjoy your home and stay safe.